Saturday, April 05, 2008

Potager Gardening in April

In Mel Bartholomews book Square Foot Gardening, his "magic" mix to get your plants off to a good start consists of 1/3 of vermiculite, 1/3 of compost & a 1/3 of spaghum moss. The hub, kids and I went and got these 3 products today. Hopefully in the fall I"ll have enough compost generated to add to my beds so I don't have to buy more. A side note: I bought a composter at Sam's Club last weekend. It was $40, which is awesome, and a hair bigger than the one I currently own. I'm excited by this since our little family seems to produce an abundance of food waste that I'm having a hard time throwing away! Overall the cost of these 3 products for 3 3x3 raised beds was $100. Quite expensive in my opinion. I had hoped to do 6 beds but I think that was a bit unrealistic with my lifestyle at this point and I'm glad too with the cost and all (that would've been roughly $200!). I hope my composters will generate enough compost soon so I won't have to continue to purchase compost. That will save me a lot of cash especially as i add more raised beds to my garden.

I received in the mail the other day 50 strawberry plants, a blueberry plant, onions, and potatoes. I need to get the berry plants in the ground or in soil asap. So after I take a nap I plan to get on that.

I will take a picture later of my seeds so you can see how they are doing. It's been difficult for me to keep up on them as well as I'd like. But overall I think I'm doing okay. As you'll see from the pics I post later a lot of the seeds have sprouted and should be ready to plant in a couple of weeks after the frost passes. I hope to plant some heartier seeds outside today and just place milk jugs ontop to prevent them from being frozen. I'll take pics when all is said and done.

No comments: