Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tofu Tuesday



Black Beans and Rice for Dinner tonight. Would you like to participate? If so, head on over to Gohn Crazy and join us.

Blk Bns & Rice

Ingredients
1 pkg. dry Black Beans
1 Jar of salsa
2 tbsp lime juice
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp ground cumin
1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
10 grape tomatoes, chopped, plus extra
Chopped green onions
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
Hot sauce


Cooked riceDirections
Sort beans.
Soak beans overnight in water at least 2-inches above beans.
Drain into a colander and rinse.
In a slow cooker combine beans, 6 cups fresh water, and all ingredients except the extra tomatoes, green onions, cheese, hot sauce and rice.
Cook on high heat setting for 6-8 hours or until beans are tender, adding more water, if necessary.
On a plate, add rice, spoon the bean mixture on top.
Sprinkle with extra tomatoes, cheese, green onions and hot sauce. Have vegetarian sausage or chorizo on the side with a slice cornbread, if desired.

6 comments:

Marisha Collins said...

We're doing tofu tonight! Tofu with black bean and garlic sauce, fried brown rice, and steamed broccoli.... I'm not sure it's as healthy as it sounds. :-)

Shady Lady said...

You are such the NT girl, soaking your beans! Have you ever tried sprouting them? I think it's so much fun to do and it's kind of like a mini science experiment. I know...I'm a little weird. ;)

The recipe looks yummy, too!

Momma Bear said...

Shady Lady, I'm trying with the NT, I believe it pretty fully. But I just bought a sprouter (got it for $2) and i've yet to use it. I'll probably use it soon. With all the hubbub from this summer some things have put on the back burner, that was one of the things. But soon! thx for sharing, you're not weird-we're similar.

Shady Lady said...

A sprouter, huh? I've never heard of that. I use quart size mason jars (Ball/Kerr) the ring and I found some screens online...somewhere. I'm interested in hearing about your sprouter and how it goes!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm sounds good. :)

Lynn said...

This sounded soo yummy that I had to start on a modified version immediately (canned black beans instead of soaked). Needless to say, this doesn't go well with the dinner I had planned (ham & scalloped potatoes), but Nate can have his meal and I will have mine. :)